- Talented, experienced and versatile editorial and creative professional.
- Portfolio of completed assignments and projects includes journalistic feature articles, all aspects of of book writing and publishing, press releases, instructional design/educational writing, copywriting, website content, book writing, ghostwriting, webinar production and hosting, and more.
- Additional skills include cultivating and interviewing sources, project management, design, statistics, magazine and book production/formatting, tech, photography and anything that will get the job done.
- Can take on just about any topic or subject matter to complete assignments and projects professionally, efficiently and within specified targets and objectives.
(If you would like to see/download a printable PDF of my resume, please click here.)
The following is a summary of a freelance writing career that started in 2001. Since much of this experience involves working with countless freelance clients over the years, this summary is a partial one. A more comprehensive detailing can be provided upon request. Thank you.
October, 2014 – Present: Creative Content Manager, Ascend MIC/GRP investments
- Managing the company’s editorial and creative content, including website writing, management and image sourcing, blogs, and electronic and print promotional materials, compliance documents, etc.
- Adapting skills to take on additional projects, including design of high-end printable and fillable forms, creating online forms and calculators, creating brochures, business plans, etc.
July, 2015 – Present: Book Project Manager, OMI Medical and OMI Artistic
- Managing all aspects of two book publications related to the personal care and entertainment sectors.
- Duties include: working closely with the clients to produce two high quality publication packages, writing high-end content, book formatting/layout involving graphics and images, meeting printer’s press and publication specifications, managing production timelines, sourcing of images, indexing, proofreading, etc.
- Used InDesign software for the first time and, from scratch, designed a layout, formatted an entire book, including images and graphics, and created high-resolution PDFs that met publication specifications.
August, 2017: Website Content Writer, Lexington Innovations
- Produced website content that met the client’s specific goals, which was to communicate to professionals in the financial-technology sector the exact kind of services the client offers, and how it differs from other services in the sector.
- Required the ability to communicate with the clients, understand a relatively complex business, and simplify it to a knowledgeable target audience.
July, 2017: Feature Article Writer/Photographer, AutoShop Business Magazine
- On a tight deadline, and in an unfamiliar industry, was given a feature-article assignment that involved finding expert interview subjects, going onsite to conduct interviews and take pictures, and produce an article that provided insightful and engaging content to a targeted readership.
August, 2016: Feature Article Writer/Photographer, Better Pork Magazine
- Was assigned a cover feature article for a major Ontario agricultural publication.
- Assignment was taken with no experience in the industry and on a tight deadline.
- Reached out to industry sources to provide readers expert information and insight.
- Also served as the photographer for the assignment.
April – June, 2016: Content Writer, FreshBooks
- Wrote a series of online articles for an international accounting software company that involved producing engaging content that adhered to SEO guidelines.
- Articles involved content marketing, which targeted professionals in diverse fields.
October – November, 2015: Press-Release Writing and Distribution, Prime Estimating Software
- Worked with the client to produce an engaging press release that highlighted the company’s unique offerings in North America’s industrial woodworking sector.
- Press-release contents were published in major industry publications after utilizing insider knowledge and extensive research, to target outlets and perform follow-up.
September, 2014: Technical-Writing Editor, Real Time Data Solutions (RTDS)
- Edited technical documentation in the field of data mining with a tight deadline and no prior experience in the field, exceeding the expectations of the client.
2011 – 2014: Full-time Associate Editor, W.I. Media (Wood Industry and Coverings Magazines)
- Wrote and edited almost every major section of two national trade magazines covering the industrial woodworking and floorcovering sectors.
- Skills utilized included feature- and profile-article writing, extensive interviewing and research, contact outreach, photography, statistics, proofing, magazine production, website and blog upkeep, social-media outreach, tradeshow coverage, travel duty, etc.
2010: Webinar Producer/Host, Skillings Mining Review
- Responsible for all aspects of executing an industry webinar, including prep work with world-leading experts, scheduling, serving as a last-minute substitute moderator, and navigating a server crash while still completing and recording the event.
2009 – 2010: Instructional Designer, Editor, Writer, Creative Content Producer, AME Learning
- Edited, wrote and designed content for, and created and sourced images for an innovative textbook on the topic of accounting for non-accounting professionals, and designed the corresponding online course.
2001-2009: Countless other freelance writing projects, details of which can be requested.
Other Experience: Worked in financial services upon graduation from university and college.
Technical and Other Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, including graphs and formulas; InDesign, including template and book design, formatting and layout, as well as producing publish-ready high-resolution PDFs; PowerPoint, including animation and narration scriptwriting; Adobe suite, including Acrobat, Dreamweaver, etc.; FormSite online platform; Canadian Press Stylebook and other guidelines; WordPress and other website and blog tools; social networking on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.; Statistics Canada database management; ftp file management; basic html and CSS and style-sheet editing.
Topics Covered: Accounting, agriculture, architecture, asthetics, business management and consulting, construction and housing, cross-border economics and trade, customer service, data mining, discount brokerages, electronics, emergency planning, entertainment, estimating, farming, floor covering, financial services, human interest, human resources, import/export, IT (information technology), interior design and decorating, international trade, law, mining, marketing, mortgages, online trading, real estate, regulatory adherence, SEO (search-engine optimization), social media and marketing, software, solar energy, statistics, technical writing, technology, training, web development, web traffic, woodworking, and more.
- 1995: McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario: Four-year Hon. BA, Philosophy, graduated with distinction, summa cum laude
- 1996: Mohawk College, Hamilton, Ontario: Two-year Diploma, Advanced Business
(* Above two programs were completed simultaneously, cutting time of study by almost half.)
- 1992: University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario: BA, Psychology
(A downloadable/printable PDF of my resume can be viewed here.)