- Talented, experienced and versatile editorial and creative professional.
- Portfolio of completed assignments and projects includes journalistic feature articles, copywriting, content/website writing, content marketing, all aspects of book writing and publishing, press releases, instructional design/educational writing, ghostwriting, webinar production and hosting, and more.
- Additional skills include cultivating and interviewing sources, project management, design, statistics, print, digital and book production/formatting, tech, photography and anything that will get the job done.
- Can take on just about any topic or subject matter to complete assignments and projects professionally, efficiently and within specified targets and objectives.
(If you would like to see/download a printable PDF of my resume, please click here.)
The following is a summary of a freelance writing career that started in 2001. Since much of this experience involves working with countless freelance clients over the years, this summary is a partial one. A more comprehensive detailing can be provided upon request. Thank you.
July, 2020 – Present: Contributing Writer, The Ontario Technologist magazine
- Writing ongoing cover features, profiles and columns that have received very positive reviews in the field of engineering technology, a previously unfamiliar market.
- Completing ongoing assignments on deadline by interviewing subject matter experts and industry personnel in a way that brings subjects and people to life.
January, 2021 – March, 2021: Managing Editor, pilot project for delivering national news
- Managed all creative facets of delivering daily news stories, including the sourcing of stories, assigning stories to writers, writing headlines and stories, editing all stories, and ensuring final daily product is complete, on time and adheres to the highest editorial standards.
October, 2014 – January, 2020: Creative Content Manager, Ascend MIC/GRP investments
- Managing the company’s editorial and creative content, including website writing, management and image sourcing, blogs, and electronic and print promotional materials, compliance documents, etc.
- Adapting skills to take on additional projects, including design of high-end printable and fillable forms, creating online forms and calculators, creating brochures, business plans, etc.
July, 2015 – February, 2020: Book Project Manager, OMI Medical and OMI Artistic
- Managing all aspects of two book publications related to the personal care and entertainment sectors.
- Duties include: working closely with the clients to produce two high quality publication packages, writing high-end content, book formatting/layout involving graphics and images, meeting printer’s press and publication specifications, managing production timelines, sourcing of images, indexing, proofreading, etc.
- Used InDesign software for the first time and, from scratch, designed a layout, formatted an entire book, including images and graphics, and created high-resolution PDFs that met publication specifications.
August, 2017: Website Content Writer, Lexington Innovations
- Produced website content that met the client’s specific goals, which was to communicate to professionals in the financial-technology sector the exact kind of services the client offers, and how it differs from other services in the sector.
- Required the ability to communicate with the clients, understand a relatively complex business, and simplify it to a knowledgeable target audience.
July, 2017: Feature Article Writer/Photographer, AutoShop Business Magazine
- On a tight deadline, and in an unfamiliar industry, was given a feature-article assignment that involved finding expert interview subjects, going onsite to conduct interviews and take pictures, and produce an article that provided insightful and engaging content to a targeted readership.
August, 2016: Feature Article Writer/Photographer, Better Pork Magazine
- Was assigned a cover feature article for a major Ontario agricultural publication.
- Assignment was taken with no experience in the industry and on a tight deadline.
- Reached out to industry sources to provide readers expert information and insight.
- Also served as the photographer for the assignment.
April – June, 2016: Content Writer, FreshBooks
- Wrote a series of online articles for an international accounting software company that involved producing engaging content that adhered to SEO guidelines.
- Articles involved content marketing, which targeted professionals in diverse fields.
October – November, 2015: Press-Release Writing and Distribution, Prime Estimating Software
- Worked with the client to produce an engaging press release that highlighted the company’s unique offerings in North America’s industrial woodworking sector.
- Press-release contents were published in major industry publications after utilizing insider knowledge and extensive research, to target outlets and perform follow-up.
September, 2014: Technical-Writing Editor, Real Time Data Solutions (RTDS)
- Edited technical documentation in the field of data mining with a tight deadline and no prior experience in the field, exceeding the expectations of the client.
2011 – 2014: Full-time Associate Editor, W.I. Media (Wood Industry and Coverings Magazines)
- Wrote and edited almost every major section of two national trade magazines covering the industrial woodworking and floorcovering sectors.
- Skills utilized included feature- and profile-article writing, extensive interviewing and research, contact outreach, photography, statistics, proofing, magazine production, website and blog upkeep, social-media outreach, tradeshow coverage, travel duty, etc.
2010: Webinar Producer/Host, Skillings Mining Review
- Responsible for all aspects of executing an industry webinar, including prep work with world-leading experts, scheduling, serving as a last-minute substitute moderator, and navigating a server crash while still completing and recording the event.
2009 – 2010: Instructional Designer, Editor, Writer, Creative Content Producer, AME Learning
- Edited, wrote and designed content for, and created and sourced images for an innovative textbook on the topic of accounting for non-accounting professionals, and designed the corresponding online course.
2001-2009: Countless other freelance writing projects, details of which can be requested.
Other Experience: Worked in financial services upon graduation from university and college.
Technical and Other Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, including graphs and formulas; InDesign, including template and book design, formatting and layout, as well as producing publish-ready high-resolution PDFs; PowerPoint, including animation and narration scriptwriting; Adobe suite, including Acrobat, Dreamweaver, etc.; FormSite online platform; Canadian Press Stylebook and other guidelines; WordPress and other website and blog tools; social networking on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.; Statistics Canada database management; ftp file management; basic html and CSS and style-sheet editing.
Topics Covered: Accounting, agriculture, architecture, asthetics, business management and consulting, construction and housing, cross-border economics and trade, customer service, data mining, discount brokerages, electronics, emergency planning, entertainment, estimating, farming, floor covering, financial services, human interest, human resources, import/export, IT (information technology), interior design and decorating, international trade, law, mining, marketing, mortgages, online trading, real estate, regulatory adherence, SEO (search-engine optimization), social media and marketing, software, solar energy, statistics, technical writing, technology, training, web development, web traffic, woodworking, and more.
- 1995: McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario: Four-year Hon. BA, Philosophy, graduated with distinction, summa cum laude
- 1996: Mohawk College, Hamilton, Ontario: Two-year Diploma, Advanced Business
(* Above two programs were completed simultaneously, cutting time of study by almost half.)
- 1992: University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario: BA, Psychology
(A downloadable/printable PDF of my resume can be viewed here.)